FAR OUT Scout Camporee Radio Operation
Date: 03/29/2000 3:24:05 PM Eastern Standard Time
TO: LARG Members Signed Up For The "FAR OUT" Radio Operation
1. Summary Of Operation. Members of the Loudoun Amateur Radio Group will operate Amateur Radio Station K4LRG at the Boy Scouts Of America Goose Creek District Spring Camporee at Neersville, Virginia on Saturday, April 8, 2000. The Amateur Radio Operation is integrated into the overall Scouting Program planned for this Camporee. Details about the overall program will be posted on the K4LRG WEB Site (http://www.k4lrg.org/xindex.html).
2. Operating Times On Saturday, April 8, 2000: Period One: 8:30 - 11:30 AM - Demonstrations of Amateur Radio. Lunch Break: 1:1:30 AM to 1:00 PM Period Two: 1:00 - 4:00 PM - Demonstrations of Amateur Radio.
3. LARG Members Participating Per Initial Sign Up:
Mary - KF4UUY
4. Others are welcome. We can use both On Site operators and Off Site Operators. So contact me if you are willing to help.
5. General Concept Of Station Operation.
A.. The On Site Operator will explain Amateur Radio to smalls groups of Scouts as they rotate through the different sites.
B. The Scouts will Log Into the Station Log.
C. The On Site Operator will assist each Scout in making a QSO with one of our Off Site Stations. The QSO will be recorded in the K4LRG Station Log.
D. An Archie's Ham Radio Adventure Comic Book will be offered to each Scout.
E. Radio Merit Badge Requirements will be explain by Norm - AI2C.
6.. Stations. We plan to set up two maybe three stations on site. These would include Bill K8SYH's HF Station (40 and/or 80 Meters), Norm AI2C's 10 Meter Station and a 2-Meter Handheld Station. HF Antennas will be put up on the afternoon of Friday, April 7, 2000; details to follow.
7. An On Site RECON - Visit in conjunction with the other Scout Leaders is scheduled for 10:30 AM on Saturday, April 1, 2000. Bill K8SYH and Norm AI2C will attend. Other operators are also welcome to come and should contact Norm ASAP (540-338-2584).
DIRECTION: To get to the site from Leesburg follow Rte 7 west to Rte 9. Follow route 9 through the town of Hillsboro and for about 2 miles more. The road will "Y" and you need to bear right onto Rte 671 (Harpers Ferry Road.) Follow Rte 671 until you see the Neersville Fire Department on your right (approx. 5 miles) the next left is the Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship. There is a small sign. Once you get on the road simply follow it until you come to a house. We will all meet at that point at 10:30. Mr. Leggett will be on site and he or his staff will show us around.
8. An LARG OPLAN for this operation will be published following the Site RECON - Visit on Saturday, April 1, 2000.
9. More To Follow.
Gud DX es Best Regards, Norm - AI2C